The SkyWatcher HEQ5 SynScan mount is a German equatorial mount designed to effectively support optical tubes weighing up to 14 Kg, such as apochromatic refractors up to 120mm in diameter or Newton reflectors up to 200mm in diameter. Thanks to the precision mechanical engineering, the 64 micro-steps motors and the advanced SynScan hand controller, it's also perfect for astrophotography: we recommend it with instruments weighing up to 8 kg and with focal length up to about 800mm.
Mechanical and electronics revision of the mount
Before delivery of the mount we perform for free in our laboratory a mechanical and electronics revision:
1) mechanical revision: we test the fluidity of the axes and we perform a position adjustment of the worm gear in both axis in order to reduce backlash.
2) electronics revision: we check the correct operational of the handpad and we update the firmware to the latest version available. This way you will have the handpad in MULTI LANGUAGE version.
This way, your mount will be immediately able to give you best performances, also for astrophotography and you will always have the latest features.
SynScan hand-pad firmware 5: precise tracking and automatic goto and many functions
The SkyWatcher HEQ5 SynScan mount uses SynScan computer to control all functions, even the most advanced ones dedicated to astrophotography. The main functions are:
- 42.000 objects internal database
- 1, 2 or 3 stars guided alignment
- Sidereal, solar or lunar tracking speed
- Slewing speed from 2x to 800x
- 5 version firmware, upgradable through the internet (more internal memory than the previous version to let you more upgrades in the future)
- PEC (Periodic Error Correction), PAE (Pointing Accuracy Enhancement) advanced functions and assisted polar alignment.
At the base of the hand-pad, you can find the USB connection port to computer: you can connect the mount to a computer to control it remotely. Then you can use one of the many compatible planetary software (such as Cartes du Ciel) to control the mount not only from the hand-pad but directly from the PC.
Using the same USB connection, you can update the hand-pad firmware by downloading the updates that SkyWatcher periodically releases on the internet.
Perfect for astrophotography with instruments up to 8 Kg
Thanks to a low periodic error for its price class (typically it has a periodic error between +-15 and +-20 arc-seconds), the SkyWatcher HEQ5 SynScan mount is perfect for astrophotography with optical tubes of the middle class, no heavier than 8 kg and with a focal length of not more than 800mm. In visual or planetary photography use (where there are fewer problems than deep-sky astrophotography of faint objects like galaxies and nebulae where the necessary long exposures require a perfect tracking), this mount can support optical tubes up to 14 kg.
On the mount control panel there's also a ST4 autoguider port: this feature is critical for astrophotography as it allows you to connect directly a guide camera (if also equipped with ST4 port) which allows you to automatically correct the small but inevitable tracking errors of the mount. By correctly setting the autoguiding software (such as PHD Guiding) in the PC (that commands the autoguide camera), you can select the speed correction (in order to obtain an accurate guide) between 0.25x, 0.50x, 1x and 0.75x.
SkyWatcher HEQ5 SynScan mount includes:
- Complete HEQ5 SynScan mount (head + tripod)
- SynScan hand-pad firmware 5
- 2 x 5 Kg counterweights
- Illuminated polar scope
- 12V power cable (cigarette lighter socket)
- 21cm Vixen bar
- 12V power supply
- Installation and use manual (english and italian)
- 3 years warranty