Who wants to start photographing the sky often looks for not too expensive instruments but that can provide high performance and good load capacity, for example, to support a compact apochromatic telescopes. The SkyWatcher EQ5 SynScan mount offers all of this at an affordable price, and is therefore perfect for beginners but also for those looking for a "travel" instrument, maybe to use instead of their high load mount (that sometimes can be too heavy in trips).
Mechanical and electronics revision of the mount
Before delivery of the mount we perform for free in our laboratory a mechanical and electronics revision:
1) mechanical revision: we test the fluidity of the axes and we perform a position adjustment of the worm gear in both axis in order to reduce backlash.
2) electronics revision: we check the correct operational of the handpad and we update the firmware to the latest version available. This way you will have the handpad in MULTI LANGUAGE version.
This way, your mount will be immediately able to give you best performances, also for astrophotography and you will always have the latest features.
SynScan hanp-pad firmware 5: precise tracking and automatic goto and many functions
The SkyWatcher SynScan EQ5 mount uses SynScan computer to control all functions, even the most advanced ones dedicated to astrophotography. The main functions are:
- 42.000 objects internal database
- 1, 2 or 3 stars guided alignment
- Sidereal, solar or lunar tracking speed
- Slewing speed from 2x to 800x
- 5 version firmware, upgradable through the internet (more internal memory than the previous version to let you more upgrades in the future)
- PEC (Periodic Error Correction), PAE (Pointing Accuracy Enhancement) advanced functions and assisted polar alignment.
At the base of the hand-pad, you can find the USB connection port for computer: you can connect the mount to a computer to control it remotely. Then you can use one of the many compatible planetary software (such as Cartes du Ciel) to control the mount not only from the hand-pad but directly from the PC.
Using the same USB connection, you can update the hand-pad firmware by downloading the updates that SkyWatcher periodically releases on the internet.
Good also for astrophotography with instruments up to 5 Kg
The SkyWatcher EQ5 SynScan mount offers 10 kg load capacity for visual use and planets, Moon and Sun photography. Then it can support medium size optical tubes such as Newtonians up to 200mm in diameter. For use in long-exposure astrophotography, we suggest the use of optical tubes up to 6 kg with focal lenght up to 600mm. For example it can be used to photograph galaxies, nebulae or star clusters with apochromatic refractors up to about 80mm in diameter.
On the mount control panel there's also a ST4 autoguider port: this feature is critical for astrophotography as it allows you to connect directly a guide camera (if also equipped with ST4 port) which allows you to automatically correct the small but inevitable tracking errors of the mount. By correctly setting the autoguiding software (such as PHD Guiding) in the PC (that commands the autoguide camera), you can select the speed correction (in order to obtain an accurate guide) between 0.25x, 0.50x, 1x and 0.75x.
SkyWatcher EQ5 SynScan mount - includes:
- Complete EQ5 SynScan mount (head + tripod)
- SynScan hand-pad firmware 5
- 2 x 5 Kg counterweights
- Illuminated polar scope
- 12V power cable (cigarette lighter socket)
- 21cm Vixen bar
- 12V power supply
- Installation and use manual (english and italian)
- 3 years warranty